For 2018-19 financial year, Council declares a waiver of 100% of general rates and municipal charge under Section 171 of the LGA for the class of persons comprised of ratepayers in respect of assessments which are in private ownership within the inappropriate subdivision known as New Corio Estate. This rates assistance waiver recognises the financial burden associated with ownership of this land.
We provide this service to ratepayers who cannot, due to hardship, pay rates. Rate assistance waivers can be discussed with the Senior Revenue officer.
In circumstances where the general 2020 property valuation has increased by more than 50 percent and subject to certain criteria, you may make application and be eligible for a 'one-off' waiver of up to 50 percent of the dollar increase on the previous year's rates.
There is no maximum amount set as to the 50 percent.
The waiver is in the form of a 'phase-in' of valuation. Eligible recipients of the waiver will have to pay the full amount - that is, Capital Improved Value (CIV) x rate in dollar - in future years.
Your application will be assessed against the following criteria:
- taxable income under $54,677
- no property improvements since January 2019 that required a building permit
- increase in latest (2020) property valuation - the capital improved value - by more than 50% from the previous 2019 property valuation for your sole and principal place of residence
- the Recycle and Waste Service Charge will be excluded from these waiver provisions
- only one 'one-off' waiver is allowed for 2020-2021 to assist with the phase in of valuations.
We will send out a letter to you if we believe your valuation has increased by more than 50% to advise you of the possibility of being eligible for a rates waiver.
If you can spare a few dollars for the creators of this website to continue their research to bring you more great content, any amount, no matter how great or small, would be greatly appreciated.