What is identity theft?
Identity theft is when someone takes and uses your personal information such as name, address, date of birth or mother’s maiden name to commit theft. With enough personal information, thieves can:
- Withdraw money from your bank accounts, including by internet and over the phone.
- open new bank accounts in your name such as cheque and credit card accounts.
- establish home phone or mobile phone accounts.
- Take out mortgages and car loans.
- Damage your credit rating.
- Commit crimes under your name.
- file for bankruptcy under your name to avoid paying debts.
If you can spare a few dollars for the creators of this website to continue their research to bring you more great content, any amount, no matter how great or small, would be greatly appreciated.